26 isn’t old, far from it, but its not super young either. So I thought it would be a decent time for some reflection.
This post is a summation of a few things I’ve learned over the years. ‘Learned’ is probably too strong a word. It makes it sound like these are ironclad laws of the universe. Not so. I’ll likely disagree with some of them in 10 years. Also what’s true for me isn’t necessarily true for all (My lawyer told me to put that in), and at times I still struggle to stick by it all.
- Cherish your real friendships while you can, I say real, because most will probably crumble. Yeah, we’re off to an upbeat start.
- Don’t get mad when people are no longer in your life. Everyone has their own paths, just be glad yours intertwined when it did.
- Finding the right balance between chasing money and ‘meaning’ is bloody hard.
- If there’s a part four to any one of your favourite trilogies, don’t watch it. It’s a statistical likelihood that is going to be shit. See ‘Indiana Jones 4’, ‘Die Hard 4/5’ for reference. In fact this also goes for any sequel 20 plus years later (The slight exception being Rocky Balboa). We can only pray that ‘Back To The Future’ remains untouched.
- Self education is more important than formal education. University is a combination of some learning, credentials, cramming, ticking a box, keeping your parents happy, networking, ‘discovering yourself’ (one of my least favourite phrases, right up there with ‘role model’), and for a lot of people intaking a substantial amount of alcohol.
- Don’t spend too much time pondering ‘what the meaning of life is’. Its very likely that the only meaning life has is the one you give it.
- On a similar note, life/the universe probably doesn’t give a shit about you. Your dreams, aspirations, your best laid plans, have no cosmic significance. Doesn’t mean they can’t happen however..
- A cliche, but try not to supplicate your personality or alter who you are to win friends, love or attention. It might work in the short run, but eventually it’ll backfire.
- Try not to be dickhead.
- Drink lots of water.
P.S The stuff I still don’t know could easily dwarf this sh*t. Could probably fill a book.
Till next time.